Ceramics 2 Coil Vessel



Coil Vessel
Insert post construction photo:

Describe what you liked about the coil process of building:

I really enjoyed the process of blending the coils together because it was nice to see how my piece was coming along. I also thought it was really therapeutic and satisfying to see two difference coils combine together into one unified substance.
Describe your frustrations:

While building this piece, I found it hard to keep it perfectly in line with my template. This vessel was a lot bigger than previous ceramic pieces I've made, so I found it harder to work with over a long period of time. Since some parts were shrinking, it was hard to keep a constant shape throughout the entirety of this process, however, I do think that I managed to keep the shape relatively fitting to the template.
Did your original idea change? If yes what changes occured?

No, this was my original idea.

How could you have constructed better?

I think the size of my elevated foot was a bit too big in comparison to my vessel, so I think I could have made the whole piece less elevated to look more proportional. With that, I also think that some of the detailing is inconsistent in size when seen from up close. Regardless of this, I'm really happy with the way my vessel turned out (without glaze yet) because it looks better than what I could have ever imagined.
Screenshot of your glaze of choice and glaze description.
Insert Pre Fired Glaze Photo

Insert Pre Fired Glaze Photo

Glaze Record:


2 Coats of PC Tourmaline over
2 Coats of PC Temmoku
Low Fire Opalescent Transparent Pearl
Glaze application:

Tourmaline OVER Temmoku - Brush Transparent Pearl - Dripped and sponged onto the detail
Describe your final result.  Was it what you expected? (better or worse)

After seeing my piece, I was a bit disappointed because the glazing wasn't as even as it looked in the one online. The drips on the mouth look different than I expected, along with the small amount of glaze I sponged onto the detail. However, I think that the color I chose broke well over my detail. After some time, I realized that I kind of really liked the brown and blue on my piece, even though it was much different than I expected. It was nice to have something new and different than I expected. 
How could you have glazed better?

I could have made better choices on dripping the glaze over the mouth of the piece. I think that if I had learned more about the tendency of the dripping glaze, I would have understood that it flows a lot. Nevertheless, I think that my piece turned out nicely, regardless of the flowing of the dripped glaze.
How could the teacher have taught the unit better?

I think the unit was taught well because we already knew most of the skills from the year before. But I think that the unit would be easier for us if we had some more refreshers on different ways of applying glaze because I forgot a bit. Otherwise, I think the unit was taught a really good way.

Comments