Final Blog
Ceramics 2 Final Blog
|
This blog’s purpose is to reflect on what skills, techniques, life lessons you have learned in this course. As a teacher, I am looking for growth and dedication to your work.
|
Textile: Woven Clay Bowl
|
Photo:
|
Reflection
Techniques used:
While making this bowl, I used the weaving technique. This was done by laying down strips and coils in an altering fashion. I also used slipping and scoring to attach the rim of my bowl. The rim was made out of braiding coils and the rose was made by using water to thin out the petals and then blending them together. I also used the sponge off sponge on method to glaze the base of my bowl, as you can see the blue peeking through from the white. Overall, I am really happy with the outcome of my bowl. There were a few roadblocks I hit, like when one of my strips broke, but I think that I was able to recover and make my piece look good. I especially like the glazing!
Terms and Vocabulary:
Slip and score, weave, flower making method (thinning the edge of the petals with water then blending them into a stem), sponge on sponge off.
|
Greek Vessel: Coil Project
|
Photo:
|
Reflection
Techniques used:
In the coil unit, I used the method of undulating my coils to make my vase go in and out. I also used the technique of blending and stacking coils to build my piece upwards. I made the elevated foot by also using the coiling method, and then I blended the two together by slipping and scoring. I used metal ribs to clean and further undulate my piece too. I used slip trailing to make the detail on my piece and I used my fingers to push the lip in to make it wavy. While glazing, I layered glazes to give a different effect and I also used glaze to drip over the lip. Overall, at first, I was disappointed in how the glaze turned out, as it was different than what the picture showed. As I looked at my piece more and more, the color started to grow on me and it actually looks kind of vintage. I like how the drips highlight the lip!
Terms and Vocabulary:
Slip and score, blending and stacking coils, undulating, drip, slip trail, foot.
|
Installation: Fish sculptures
|
Photo:
|
Reflection
Techniques used:
Making this fish, I used many techniques. One example of this is in the way I made the tail. I used slipping and scoring to attach the fin, and I used a popsicle stick to make my scales uniform. For the shape of the tail, I used a paddle to help me get there, and I undulated the tail to give it motion. For the heads, I used carving to make the different layers. I did this for the face and the gills. The eyes were added by slipping and scoring, along with the nostrils. I also used a carving tool to remove clay from inside the mouth. I also used a paddle to assist me with the shape of the head and I used a popsicle stick for the scales. For glazing, I put a darker color into the crevasses and then sponged it off. Then, I sponged on a lighter color so you can still see the darker color peek through. Overall, I am really happy with the outcome of my fish. I feel like the glazing makes the uniformity of the scales pop and it highlights the facial features of the fish too!
Terms and Vocabulary:
Slip and score, carving, scale (scale maker ), sponge on sponge off.
|
I want to thank every one of you. You have made my semester a memorable one. I love each and every single one of you. Have a great and well-deserved break!
Voila!
|
Comments
Post a Comment