Blog 07 - Incentives

  The Botanic Gardens in Singapore exemplifies an establishment that exists for public benefit. The display of nature it offers is free to the public and adds greenery to the surrounding areas. There's no direct profit that comes out of having such a robust garden, yet the gardens are still valuable in their public appeal, for tourists and locals alike. The National Museum/Galleries that Singapore boasts is similar to the gardens. It is free to enter, resulting in no profit, yet offers the country a valuable memorandum of their history and is beautiful to marvel at. Singapore Botanic Gardens | Homepage

    Regarding a development that may have required a lot of negotiation, I think Sentosa may have instigated a great commotion; its pure leisurely nature obstructed the port that was once where it stood (seen in the image). Considering that Sentosa was manmade and built entirely from scratch, I think it may have caused a lot of convincing to create since beaches don't generate revenue and the whole island relies on tourism. It blocked off a very vital part of the Singapore economy and replaced it with something that instead hinders the economy, so I believe it took a great deal of negotiation to successfully complete. 

Sentosa Then and Now


   I think an interesting research topic could be the act of negotiation with buildings and how additional height is appealing to these companies. It almost seems to be a trade-off—an additional level for a development on the ground. I research how this was implemented in Singapore. I'm also interested in the differences between private and public entities, but I'm not too sure where I could go with this yet. Finally, another topic I want to look into is city design based on regions. In Singapore, more specifically, how different areas like Orchard and Woodlands are designed so different from another despite their proximity. It may be worthwhile to see the demographics of the area and how this contributed to the city design. Since these topics are generally new to me, once I do a bit more research I hope to reach a more resounding topic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sticking It On Floor

Final Blog