Reaction: Texas High School Student Shows Off Homemade Clock, Gets Handcuffed
I feel really bad for Ahmed because he didn't do anything wrong, and just because of assumptions people made (with no evidence/proof), he got arrested. I think that many people think that the phase of racism is over, but using this article, you can see that people may have guessed that this clock that Ahmed made was a bomb just because of his ethnicity and race. I am very shocked with the reaction of Ahmed's teacher because Ahmed is just a kid who's hobby is to build things. The lens that I reacted to was definitely shock because in this story, people just judged this high-school student by what other people who have same race. This is really unfair. The police officers said that they weren't satisfied with what Ahmed's definition of what the clock was. Ahmed didn't have any other explanation, other than the fact that he made this clock, and he was proud of it. I learned that I was one of those people who thought racism was almost over, but I can tell that it is making it's way back up to being a main issue in society. "I think this wouldn't even be a question if his name wasn't Ahmed Mohamed," Alia Salem of the Dallas-Fort Worth chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations tells local news WFAA. "He is an excited kid who is very bright and wants to share it with his teachers." I agree with this statement because if you put yourself in Ahmed's shoes, you probably would have wanted to show your teacher because you would be proud. I know that if I was Ahmed I would done what he did. He showed the clock to his engineering teacher, and his teacher didn't respond as Ahmed expected. The teacher said that he shouldn't show the clock to any other teachers. Later on during the day Ahmed had the clock in his bag and it started beeping, so the teacher of that period wanted to know what it was. That teacher said that it looked like a bomb. After reading this article, I believe that the police should have gained more evidence before arresting him. I also think that they could have checked to see that the clock was really a bomb, and then if it was they could have arrested him, not the other way around. What do you think about this real-life story?
Source: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/09/16/440820557/high-school-student-shows-off-homemade-clock-gets-handcuffed?utm_source=npr_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=20150920&utm_campaign=mostemailed&utm_term=nprnews
Source: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/09/16/440820557/high-school-student-shows-off-homemade-clock-gets-handcuffed?utm_source=npr_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=20150920&utm_campaign=mostemailed&utm_term=nprnews
Comments
Post a Comment